Chelsea press conference LIVE: Thomas Tuchel on takeover, Arsenal, Rudiger, Kante, Lukaku, more
The Chelsea head coach will face the media this afternoon ahead of the Premier League clash against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge tomorrow evening
Good afternoon and welcome to live coverage of Thomas Tuchel’s pre-match press conference ahead of Chelsea’s clash against Premier League top-four hopefuls Arsenal at Stamford Bridge tomorrow evening.
The Blues head into the contest, having secured their place in the FA Cup final. Tuchel’s side defeated Crystal Palace 2-0 at Wembley on Sunday to book their place in the showpiece game of the world’s oldest club competition for the third year in succession. Liverpool will be their opponents next month.
Before that, the Premier League is Chelsea’s priority. Tuchel’s side sits third ahead of tomorrow’s game against the Gunners are in a strong position to finish as the closest challengers to Manchester City and Liverpool, who are battling it out for the top-flight title once more.
We will get Tuchel’s pre-match thoughts shortly, in addition to the latest team news. Ben Chilwell (knee) and Callum Hudson-Odoi (achilles) missed the weekend win and may not be ready to return – that is for the Chelsea head coach to confirm, however, when he faces the media at Cobham. Live updates will appear below.
That’s all from the Chelsea head coach
We’ll have a full transcript on the website shortly.
Jorginho form in recent weeks?
He sacrificed for the team and I think you see it now. There are so many demands and after a big success, like winning the Euros, he felt the pressure. This is normal and sometimes after big success it is difficult to keep on going and going.
He put responsibility on his shoulders and always does. That is why I love him. We see we overused him and I feel we see the consequences of that. He is not at his freshest moment at the minute.
What do you do with Reece?
I think the back three is a little less demanding phsyically in terms of the wing-back position given he comes from a long injury. It is a bit of an advantage to have him in the back three because it is less demanding physically.
He can play both positions brilliantly and we only pick him once so we have to decide.
Maybe he feels these decisions are against him but they are for other players. We had Reece James playing in this position because of his physicality and speed.
Trevoh played a very good season so far. He had a little dip of form some weeks ago but he had good weeks of training now. He had a talk but I haven’t been able to show him with minutes.
We have Thiago in shape, Andreas playing, Reece in these positions. He is training excellently and this is what we demand of him. He will see it with minutes in the next matches.
Reduced crowd tomorrow at Chelsea?
That is not an advantage because in general we want to play in front of a full stadium and we want to play in front of spectators. Let’s turn things around, maybe everyone is aware of that and pushes more. We lack quantity but we shouldn’t lack quality.
Against Leicester last seasona after Covid, it was like 50,000 and the players said it felt like a full stadium. So hopefully, we can have a spark that can bring everybody into a better mood.
Werner shows Lukaku what can happen
All he needs is that spark. He maybe would’ve been a natural starter against Crystal Palace given the minutes Kai has played and the matches recently, but after a period of injuy he lacked the fitness for matches. I don’t point the finger at him, it’s just a fact.
Compare the difference in Brentford and Real Madrid and Southampton and Real Madrid, you see the effort we put into become a winning team and this is what we need. Romelu should’ve had a goal against Real Madrid and Crystal Palace, but if he plays we neDifficult to motivate the players?
I’m not sure we don’t become second or fourth. So we will fight hard. We have a crucial four matches coming in a short period of time with Arsenal, West Ham, Man United and Everton. These are crucial matches for us given the task and what we don’t want to achieve.
It’s a big challenge physically but mentally to dive into the main competition that is Premier League. It seems like things are pretty safe but things can change so, so quickly. We want to demand it from the team and it is challenging for everybody, but at the same time, it’s what you sign up for when you sign up for Chelsea.
ed all that he has.
FA Cup final revenge against Liverpool?
Of course, we feel it. It was only some weeks ago we lost in the same stadium. In sports, if you lost against a team so recently you want to turn things around quick. If you call it revenge or not, it doesn’t matter, but we all have these competitive feelings.
Kova is out of the game, ligament injury. Hopefully not longer than two weeks. Callum out of the game. Ben Chilwell out for the game. And some players in doubt who we need to examine.
Ben will be able to join in team training with the youth, this will be his next step in the weeks and hopefully, he can join our training at the end of the season. With Callum, it’s day by day but not possible to join team training.
Tuchel has arrived
Let’s hear from the Chelsea head coach ahead of tomorrow’s clash against Arsenal.
The Chelsea head coach will be joining us imminently.
· Pulisic makes Chelsea FA Cup final prediction
- Christian Pulisic is pleased to once again reach a final at Wembley at Chelsea and is especially pleased to see the opposition is Liverpool as the competition reaches its peak.
- Second-half goals from Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Mason Mountsecured Chelsea‘s passage to the finale of the FA Cup for the third time in as many seasons, with Jurgen Klopp’s side awaiting them after a 3-2 win over Manchester City on Saturday.
· Rangnick makes Chelsea fixture admission
- Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick has admitted that their fixture against Chelseabeing moved forward is “not good” as the German coach didn’t think it could happen.
- It comes as the fixture was moved from Sunday, May 15 to Thursday, April 28 after Chelsea booked their place in the FA Cup final be defeating Crystal Palace at Wembley.
· Gallagher explains his Chelsea plan
- Conor Gallagher is not yet considering where his future lies come the summer as he enters the final seven matches remaining of his Crystal Palace spell.
- The Chelsea midfielder has enjoyed an outstanding season on loan at Selhurst Park, recording eight goals and five assists as well as earning his first start for the senior England side.
· Every word from Cesar Azpilicueta
- Cesar Azpilicueta reflected on qualifying for the FA Cup final against Liverpool and much more after Chelsea’s victory over Crystal Palace at Wembley.
· Changes Tuchel will consider vs Arsenal
- As has been so common this season, Chelsea once again have a quick turnaround in a relentless season of fixtures. The Blues have nine games remaining in the final month of the season having already played 54 over the course of it.
- Thomas Tuchel’s still have an intense end to 2021/22 campaign thus far but the German coach finally has a set schedule that can be planned around, with Arsenal’s visit to Stamford Bridge the first on the agenda.